Between a Wok and a Hot Pot by Amanda Lin
Bubble tea. Kimchi. Hot pot. It’s cool to be Asian right now. While serving a hot pot dinner to her audience, Amanda reminisces on when it wasn’t so cool to be Asian, and delves into the complicated topic of identity and cultural appropriation in food and art.
- MANDY, female, Taiwanese-Canadian, 20-25.
- PRODUCTION ASSISTANT, East Asian-Canadian, 20-30.
- Awarded Fred Euringer Award in Drama by Queen’s University (June 2018)
- Production: Theatre Count, director: Stephanie Fung, dramaturg: Blair MacMillan (Aug 9-10, 2018 / Tett Centre for Creativity and Learning – Rehearsal Hall, Kingston)
- Staged Reading: Ergo Pink Fest 2019, director: Marjorie Chan, dramaturg: Elyne Quan (March 31, 2019 / Small World Music Centre, Toronto)
- OAC Development period with dramaturg: Jasmine Chen (June/July 2019)
- Workshop production, director: Blair MacMillan, dramaturg: Elyne Quan (April 2020 / Tarragon Theatre WorkSpace, Toronto) *cancelled due to COVID-19, to be rescheduled at a later date